June 12, 2012

Snow White and the Huntsman is a D&D Movie

[Spoilers Follow]

I went to go see Snow White and the Huntsman expecting a retelling of the fairy tale. I got that, but so much more. To me, it is a D&D movie. It is filled with D&D tropes and, more importantly, filled with images ripped right out out of my D&D mind. The movie was able to visualize what I am usually at a loss to accurately describe with meer words.

It had a Dark Forest. Every world setting I've ever written has some form of Dark Forest, an aged forst deep, dark, mysterious and dangerous. This movie portrayed my concept of this accurately and well.

It had a fight with a bridge troll. Fights with trolls are always awesome.

The dwarves were cool instead of silly little people.

It had river villages with unique customs inherent to the setting (the self-scarring of the women to avoid the gaze of the Witch).

It had a hidden elven glade of faeries and fey creatures.

It had a band of heroes fighting and saving the day, while armies fought.

The castle interiors were narrow and looked like 5' wide hallways.

It had a sorcerous villainess, where the use of magic was explicit and effective.

Was it a great movie? No, though it is a good movie. And it is a D&D movie. Wanna see...







2 comments:

Philo Pharynx said...

I loved the movie except for one issue: Kristen Stewart. As an actress, she is not at the same levels as her co-stars, and definitely not equal to Charlize Theron. In addition, she's pretty, but not "fairest of them all". If they'd have gone with another star I could see this as being a top class movie.

Unknown said...

My wife (who is horrible with actors names and faces) had no idea it was Kristen Stewart playing Snow White until the end credits (we've never seen the Twilight movies). During the movie she mentioned how wooden the acting was from the Snow White actress.