August 9, 2011

Thank You to the OSR

I play 4E. I am running two completely unique, built-from-scratch 4E campaigns. I really like 4E and its options. I am the type of person who likes to have a lot of options, both as a player and as a DM. I like the interplay between characters in combat, wherein group support is recommended and encouraged; wherein a person can affect combat even if it is not their turn. I have sold some 4E material for publication and it is therein where my goals for further publication lie.

All that being said, I want to say a heartfelt thank you to all those who produce material for and continue to support the OSR. Your enthusiasm for a simpler game play style is a wonderful thing. I believe there is a place and need for the OSR style game systems. The systems can be a lot of fun to play within. They can show us how to game with the minimum and still have a good time. And it was the OSR that brought these options to the forefront where people could see it, perhaps for the first time, and where it can continue to thrive.

I will admit I am not enamored by those pundits who try to engage in edition wars. This is a detraction from the OSR, but in the end the OSR is about people wanting to bring something wonderful to the community of RPG gaming and they have succeeded, so again I wish to say…

Thank you to the OSR.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said. I too am primarily a 4e player, and I admire the creative power of the old-school renaissance bloggers. Creativity without edition warring is a beautiful thing when it happens.